Total Pageviews

Sunday, March 10, 2013

New recipes require new spices! Eat-Clean: Stripped

I may not be as adventuresome as I would like in the kitchen, but I do enjoy trying new recipes and experimenting with different flavors.  While I was browsing the Week 2 plan for the Eat-Clean Diet: Stripped this week, I decided to go ahead and plan on making most of their recipes rather than doing my own substitutions.  Last week was very easy for me but by Friday I was bored with the same meals.  I also found that by Thursday night I had used most of what I had purchased last week for the entire week.  That left me debating Friday whether to piece something together or just suck it up and go to the grocery store.  I decided on the latter.

But back to spices.  I was excited to read through some of these Clean recipes and go shopping.  The new additions:


Now I realize these are not unite flavors to most, but they are certainly new for me to cook with at home.  I love to try different flavors and foods when I am eating out and especially when traveling, but I rarely venture from the norm at home.  So please forgive me while I'm a little bit excited to try something new.

I tried the first new recipe tonight.  And the new spice of the day was Tumeric!

Scallops A La Plancha with sauteed asparagus and peppers
This dish was delicious!  I even put too much of the spice on my one person serving and it was still uber delicious-o!

Here is the recipe straight from the Eat-Clean Diet: Stripped book

1lb wild caught large scallops
pinch sea salt
1/2 tsp ground pepper
1tsp olive oil
1 red pepper seeded and thinly sliced
1 yellow or orange pepper seeded and thinly sliced
2c baby asparagus sliced into 3" long pieces
1/4tsp ground cumin
1/4tsp paprika
1/4tsp tumeric **new spice of the day
1/4tsp onion powder.

1. Heat large cast iron skillet over high heat.  Make sure scallops are dry, then season with a pinch of salt and pepper.  Add scallops to dry skillet, turn heat down to medium and cook two minutes on each side until slightly charred and tender.  Remove and set aside.
2. Return skillet to stove and add olive oil.  Add peppers, asparagus and spices.  Season with salt and pepper and saute until tender-crisp, three minutes.
3. Divide vegetables equally among four plates and top with scallops.


This was a very satisfying meal.  It is on the Week 2 menu as a lunch item but since I had the fresh scallops I wanted to try it for dinner.  I only made one serving which means I can have this tasty dish again tomorrow for dinner.

I also made some yummy protein bites (recipe found here)
As you can see, my "bites" did not turn out quite like the picture but I did not roll them into balls so that may be why.  Either way, they are delicious!

Tomorrow I will post my results from Week 1 on the Stripped plan.  As of Friday I was down 3.6lbs!  

No comments:

Post a Comment