Total Pageviews

Thursday, June 23, 2011

To Detox or Not to Detox.......

That is the question!

I have been an occasional believer/follower of the Eat Clean diet plan and cookbooks.  This week, while attempting to eat "clean" I started to again follow Tosca Reno and her Eat Clean plans.  Ironically, I get her blog posts and updates in my emails whether or not I am following her so when I decided to, again, follow her - there they were!  MAGIC!

Yesterday Tosca posted about a Detox Defined so I browsed on over to read about this new discovery.  While I don't always agree with her blogs and posts, for the most part the overall theory of eating clean and filtering what goes into your body seems logical to me.  I can attest to feeling better when I am eating "clean" foods and since the Eat Clean Diet doesn't "count" anything (i.e. calories or points) it is a nice break from my usual strict diets.  So I read on with skepticism because this did not seem to follow Tosca's usual tyrants.

The detox she described is simple - two days of liquids only (water, green teas, veggie juices, bone broth?, etc) and then days 3-7 you add 1 cup of brown rice and vegetables and fruits back into your diet for 6 meals per day.  Only one cup of brown rice?  Why even bother?  I don't know the answer to those questions.....I'm really asking you!

I've pondered the idea of detoxing again for the past 24 hours.  Again, I read the "rules" of this detox.  Sounds easy enough in the sense that the food is accessible,  you don't have to purchase $200 worth of "special food" and it's only 7 days.  The idea of only drinking liquids for two days doesn't scare me anymore since I just recently did a 2 1/2 day juice fast.  I'll post more on that at a later date but the Cliff Notes version is the juice fast produced great results and I was energized while fasting!  Not dizzy or starving either.

My motivation for this fast is simple: in 7 days my entire family will gather at my sisters for a weekend of food, fun, food, family, food, fireworks and more food!  We like to cook, bake, grill, make, take, bring, and DEVOUR food in my family.  Example: breakfast will be served straight from the camp fire grill in a heart-stopping combination of bacon, eggs fried in the bacon grease, toast and homemade jelly.  There might be some venison sausage thrown in there too.  And probably any leftover meat from grilling the night before.  In addition to that round of fat consumption - my Aunt is the most amazing baker in the world and will undoubtedly bring a slew of cookies to the weekend picnic!  They are IRRESISTIBLE!  I'm talking, I would chew my own arm off and Cooper's to get to her cookies!  I'm salivating now - look what you've done!

So my thought process was "detox now, there'll be no way detox later".  Or do I detox after the food festival?  Good question!

In all honesty, I am very proud of myself this week.  Despite the daily indulgence on a small York Peppermint Patty and a very accidental trip to sushi Wednesday for work (I had a tuna roll and a veggie roll - not bad) I have been very good at eating "clean".  Wait, I lie!  I was so tired this morning that I stopped at Dunkin for my Vanilla Chai.  That concoction cannot possibly be "clean"!  It's all sugar.  White, refined, bad for me sugar.  Oops.

But back to my thought process - I'm proud of myself.  I ran two miles today at a consistent pace.  I've been working out daily since Sunday!   I have done an ab routine three nights of the four this week.  And I'm eating {almost}clean.  Any ONE of those points would be an accomplishment for me on a normal week.

My dilemma is now - continue what is working or detox pre-party weekend?  I could easily start the detox tomorrow and continue until I go to my sister's next Friday afternoon.  Or, I could stick with my slow but steady wins the race plan of eating clean!  Decisions, decisions.

I may sleep on it and see how I feel in the morning.  Right now I'm 70/30 for eating clean vs detox.  Maybe 60/40.  But it would save on groceries this week if all I ate was veggies and brown rice!  hmmm......

{to be continued}

3 comments:

  1. Save the detox for after. If you detox before, you'll make yourself sick eating all the rich, fatty foods. You'll *need* to detox after, no doubt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Detox after....you're going to need it!! And plus, you can't be all skinny when I see you, it won't be fair to me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree girls - I am going to detox on Tuesday the 5th! Why detox beforehand? I will definitely NEED to detox after this weekend!!!!

    ReplyDelete