Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Invisalign - Week 1

I am wearing them now - can you tell?   I went to Dr Kadar's office last Wednesday to get my first set of trays and get started.   The visit went very quickly as the assistant showed me how to put them in and take them out.  She then applied two little silver "buttons" on two of my back teeth that will hold the rubber bands.  She explained that wearing the rubber bands is optional but it will help with my cross bite so I may want to consider it.  The "buttons" will come off when the treatment is done.

We then went through some general instructions on how to clean them, keep them safe (from dogs and cats mostly) and when to change the trays.  After the Dr came over to check that they were in properly we discussed the timing.  Because I am going to South Africa in March for two weeks I needed to ensure that I would have enough trays for my trip.  They were giving me trays 1-3 during this initial visit and I was supposed to wear each for 10 days (expedited by the Acceledent).  Well 30 days from the 12th of February would take me to the 14th or March and I would be thousands of miles away and certainly not able to come in for an appointment.  So Dr Kadar suggested wearing tray 1 for the least amount of time and to try to get 10 days with tray 2 and tray 3 before my appointment on March 7th.  He let me in on a little secret that tray 1 actually does the least work out of all of them so it's best to lose time there.  Fine by me!

We went over the whole plan and Dr Kadar let me know that I will need 21 trays.  He figures that aside from when I should be wearing the first three trays for 10 days each, I will only need to wear the others for a week each.  In my calculation, that puts my finish line approximately July 4th!   It cannot come soon enough!
With the timing straightened out (pun intended), I was moved into the room where they scanned my teeth for the impressions for the trays.  We tried a few "mouth guard" like trays that go into the Acceledent device and settled on a size large.  I personally think it's too big but we can go over that another time.  After that I was sent on my way with trays, Acceledent and some rubber bands.

My initial impression was "how in the hell am I going to get through the next five months with these in my mouth?"   The nurse told me to sing in the car to try to get used to them but it was difficult to hear myself with a lisp.  My greatest fear was true - I was going to have a speech impedement for five months!   I went back to work for the afternoon and barely spoke.  No one noticed or asked me about them if they did notice.  Luckily I had a snow storm and a few days off for a long weekend coming up so I was happy to leave that afternoon knowing I wouldn't have to come back for 5 days!

The first night was the worst!  My whole mouth hurt and my head ached from the soreness.  I took Advil in regular intervals to get through it.  At one point I thought to myself there is no way I will be able to sleep with these in but by the time I was ready for bed it wasn't as bad.  I did drool all over my pillow though and still continue to do so!

The weekend was pretty smooth.  It was a snow day/work from home day on Thursday.  Valentine's Day was Friday so that was interested.  We had plans in the city for dinner and drinks so I just kept them out while we ate and drank and put them in again when we were done.  Being intimate with them in was uncomfortable but not physically - just emotionally.  I didn't want my boyfriend to be conscience of plastic in my mouth!  He didn't mind a bit though.  I kept him distracted I think :)

The rest of the weekend was easy.  Lots of brushing in between and I felt like I was constantly taking them in and out, in and out, brushing again and in and out!  But other than that it was fine.  I used the Acceledent every day for 20 minutes and looked like a fool doing it!  Here's the proof:
Again, my boyfriend was very understanding and joked that it was the only time I've been quiet for 20 minutes straight.

Tonight I will change to tray 2 and start to wear the rubber bands - but only at night.  I have to keep focused on the end result and stay diligent to this treatment.  I don't want to waste the $6,250 and still have a snaggle tooth!

No comments:

Post a Comment