Total Pageviews

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Hurricane Irene


This is what I'm dealing with at the moment!

It's 10:30pm and we are getting pounded with heavy rains and winds as part of the early feeder bands from Hurricane Irene.  She is expected to be over South Jersey around midnight tonight.  So far, it hasn't been too bad because the power is still on!  Hopefully it stays on but I highly doubt it!

After living in Florida for six years, I had my fair share of hurricane experience.  It all started with two storms named Frances and Jeanne in 2004!  I was pregnant at the time and the storms came back to back with a large impact to our area each time!  I was living with my parents at the time of the storms.  For the first one, since we were all hurricane-virgins, we decided to evacuate and go across the state to Tampa!  Bad idea!  The storm came right across the state and knocked out the power in Tampa too.  So my storm-chasing father decided we would drive THROUGH the hurricane back to the house because he was convinced that if something would happen to the house, people would be out there looting our stuff!

Fast forward two very uncomfortable weeks with NO power and quite a mess to deal with and we were prepping for hurricane #2 - Jeanne!  Of course this time, we did not evacuate!  We stuck out the storm with mom and I huddled in the walk-in closet while dad slept soundly in the bedroom next to us.  At one point he went outside "for a walk" and had pine needles sticking in his eyes!  Not the smartest move!

So when I saw that Miss Irene was heading our way with a potential of a Cat 1 or 2 when she reached South Jersey I thought to myself "I got this!"  I feel like I have enough experience to get through a hurricane on my own now.  At the same time, it is nerve wracking!

We just went through a tornado warning!  I had about 10 texts from friends in the area telling me to go to the basement because of the tornado warning.  I went down there and filled an air mattress 'just in case'.  I'm typing this from the couch because it is too loud and scary on the third floor where my bedroom is located.  I think I'll camp on the couch tonight.  I'll update again later or tomorrow after the storm.

Stay safe and keep dry!

UPDATE: 9:15AM Sunday the 28th
Right after I put up this post I decided it was time to get some sleep.  I was camped out on the couch uncomfortably but luckily, I was able to sleep alright last night.  I woke up a few times to the sound of wind and rain hitting the house but nothing frightening.  Around 6am I heard the power flash back on so I decided it was time to sleep in my bed for a few hours.  Around 8am I got  up and turned on the news.  We didn't get any damage at the house at all.  No water in the basement, no tree limbs in the yard, nothing!  I might venture out in a bit to see how the town made out.   All in all, not a bad storm at all!  

No comments:

Post a Comment