Total Pageviews

Friday, July 8, 2011

Generations of love

The 4th of July has always been a time for family, food, fireworks and fun for me.  Growing up, we would pack up the cars with picnic supplies, sleeping bags, bathing suits and S'mores and head to Jack's - our family farm for the long weekend.  Jack was the name of the man who had owned the house prior to my grandparents purchasing the property after his death.  It was our getaway "camp" that fostered more memories than any other home or place from my childhood.  Our whole family would head to Jack's and camp in the old, run down house.  As the years progressed, we added ponds (3 to be exact), a barn, horses, cows, a carriage house and eventually a complete remodel of the house was done.  Whether we were 6 or 16, all the kids enjoyed the traditional sparklers and S'mores around the fire!  And if we were lucky, Poppy would make us breakfast on the fire the next day! 

Over the years, as we grew older and thought we were "too cool" to hang out with our family for the 4th of July we would scatter from Jack's to meet with friends, head to the fireworks or go to parties.  A few years we missed the family gathering all together to attend our own important plans.  As the third generations started to scatter up and down the east coast we started a new tradition of watching the fireworks on "Grandma Betty's" front lawn in Austin.  I've seen fireworks in New York City, State College set to music played on the radio, Florida with the boat parade in the river and of course, the Galeton fireworks.  None of these compare with the show you will see at the Austin fireworks!

The times have changed and the family has grown but the traditions remain.  This year we gathered with (almost) all 19 of us at my sister's house in Quakertown, PA to celebrate the 4th of July!  There were S'mores and sparklers still and even a breakfast on the fire!   But what was even more amazing was the realization that my son, my child can experience the same heart warming effects of a weekend spent with family!

I watched as my grandparents spent time with each grandchild and great-grandchild.  I watched as my parents snuggled Cooper and his cousins during the fireworks.  I watched my mom, sister and Aunt spend time in the kitchen together.  It was memorable!  It just goes to show that it doesn't matter WHERE we are as long as we're together!  That is very cliche, but it's true!  Family is the most important thing in life!

Some things continue throughout the years.......like Kelly learning how to "burl"

and a family volleyball game



And some traditions are new like Family Olympics with a winning team

and Cake Pops




I hope you all enjoyed your 4th of July with family, friends and loved ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment